CAMF TRUSTEE DIRECTOR PROFILE – VINCENT M JOHN
Born in the “Nature Island of the Caribbean“, Dominica I came to England to continue my learning in London and Sheffield. My formative years sustain pleasant memories of the colourful costumes, vibrant music and communal fun that is Carnival.
Carnival comprises a variety of talented and experienced artistes whose skills sets can be utilised and nurtured to develop CAMF into an exemplary organisation. I aim to assist the process of transforming CAMF and championing some of these key elements, including:
- A consultative and listening membership organisation that leads by consensus and good example.
- Widening membership participation in and ownership of CAMF through appropriate structures such as the Buddy system, Focus Groups, Committees, etc.
- Sound management and leadership through exemplary governance and business ethics.
- Development of our Carnival arts ethos, processes and systems to enhance artistic quality, a sense of purpose, pride, excitement, friendly competition, and recognition.
- Professionalism and development of a social enterprises culture that is appropriate for Carnival arts.
- Better understanding and constructive collaborative relationships between CAMF and other organisations for the benefit of the membership and positioning of our Carnival arts.
I aim to assist CAMF by deploying my experience and qualifications, which include a BA (Honours) in Business Studies (Law), Graduate Diploma of the Chartered Institute of Procurement & Supply, MA in International Business Law and MBA in General Management. This will be maintained by my continuing professional development through my membership of and association with the Chartered Management Institute, Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators and Chartered Institute of Procurement & Supply, on whose Council I have represented the UK Higher Education sector. My experience as the Director of Procurement & Business Services at the University of Greenwich will also be deployed as and when needed
My leadership position in other organisations such as The Dominica UK Association, Dominica National Development & Disaster Fund, Newham African-Caribbean Centre Limited, Newham Safer Neighbourhood Board, and DUKA Mas Domnik UK Carnival Band, will be beneficial to CAMF. As the first Chairman of CAMF following the merger of Notting Hill Mas Bands Association (NHMBA) and Greater London International Mas Association (GLIMA) in 2011, the Carnival Steering Group in 2012 and Chairman and Company Secretary of London Notting Hill Carnival Enterprises Trust (LNHCET), which successfully delivered Carnivals 2012 and 2013, my passion for Carnival arts is clear. I plan to be an active member of the CAMF Trustees team for the benefit of the membership and our diverse communities.
Vincent M John.